The Waltons

The Calf

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Sep 28, 1972 on CBS

• Never Mind the Bullocks

This would have been a great episode to open the series: it focuses wholly on the Walton family and it gives each member something to do. The writing is sharp and JB&E's little adventure at the end is a good twist. Some nice acting too.

I admit I was rooting for John all the way through this. It's all very well for the children to get mushy over selling the family livestock but they don't have to pay the bills. At least John-boy seems to understand this. I did think it was harsh of Mr Anderson to tell Jim-Bob and Elizabeth that the calf was going to be sold for slaughter, but you do have to wonder where they think their sausages come from.

I loved Olivia's face when she took the decision to buy back the calf. Now that's determination! Was hoping for a bit more of a fight when John came home but he just seemed to shrug it off. If I were John I'd have fixed the car then taken the money they spent buying the creature back out of their rations.

Lastly, I love that the only characters to keep their names from Spencer's Mountain are Olivia and the family milkcow. Class!

• When the family cow, Chance, gives birth to a healthy calf, John as to sell it to make ends meet, but when Elizabeth and Jimbob start to suspect something is wrong with its new owner, they will stop at nothing to save it.

This is a good episode and very well written along with the determination from the directors to actually make a whole entire episode based on... a calf. But, hey, go ahead onto the other seasons ans look at their titles. But back to the episode. It has my blessing entirely. It was a very well written episode with the blissful acting skills of the Waltons cast. It was good from beginning when John announces he has to sell the calf, to the end when Jimbob and Elizabeth run off with the calf and John and jonboy go out looking for them. I totally recommend this episode~Old shows fanatic