The Waltons

The Calling

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Sep 28, 1978 on CBS

6.7
  • The Catholic

With Patsy off the scene, Jim Bob's eye turns to a pert young cousin of the Baldwins. There's just one snag: Mary Frances would rather be a nun. With the help of two sisters from her convent, she must choose between Jim Bob and everlasting chastity. It's a decent story, but the romance is far from convincing. Much as I love David Harper, he has zero chemistry around women.

The two nuns are great fun. One is all sweetness and light, while the other is bitter and dislikes Protestants. How crazy are their headdresses though? Their nunnery must have been built with extra-wide doors. Really good to watch.

True to form, Corabeth takes an instant dislike to Mary Frances, seeing her as the first wave of a planned Catholic takeover. It's a great plot point, and I'd like to have seen it taken further, but sadly one scene is as much as we get. I'd also like to have seen whether Matthew would have been as accepting as Hank. Something tells me he wouldn't. I can't say I agree with Corabeth: there was a Catholic family in our village and they never tried to take over. I think they even came to our church once.

Away from the doctrinal dogma, Ben hires a man named Beau to help out in the mill. He's a handy worker, but he likes a drink and ends up causing a right mess. Ben mans up and sends him packing. Nice guest slot by Bruce French.

If you like your green screen moments, there's a classic when Jim Bob and his girl are driving home. Not only does the whole ride look hopelessly fake, but the lighting changes drastically partway through. Still, JB looks great with his hair slicked back so I'm not complaining too much.