The Waltons

The Captive

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Nov 09, 1978 on CBS

7.2
  • The Bottle

This is more like it. After several weeks of dross and nonsense, we get our first comedy episode in a long, long while as Corabeth flips out and hits the bottle.

Our favourite storekeeper's wife has always been prone to fancy, but this week she truly goes for broke, spouting on about culture and taste before opening a shambolic ballet school in Rockfish. Some of the scenes are hilarious: I was on the floor laughing when she yelled, "Why won't anyone listen to me?" at the Baldwins. The whole thing reminded me of 'The Actress' from way back in Season One.

The drinking is a little out of character, given Corabeth's puritan views, but it does fit with the story. It made me laugh that Amy was the only one prepared to face up to it. We also find out that John had a drinking habit in the war. This surprised me at first, until I remembered his character in the novel was quite a heavy drinker.

While all this is going on, Elizabeth decides to learn how to drive. Could you really drive at thirteen back then? That's insane! Jim Bob must be the worst driving instructor ever, though his brothers aren't much better.

The ending is a bit melodramatic, but I like it when people make up so I'll let it go.