The Waltons

The Car

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Mar 14, 1974 on CBS

• What happened to the car? Was John-Boy gay

I must admit that even with the more violent and sexually explicit prime time, cable and movie television I watch these days, I still do enjoy this series.

Yes ... it is hokey and full of family values but there still is a slight appealing underlying edge to the five main characters. After two seasons John is still the stable father, Olivia has let go of some of her more hard nosed values and Zeb and Esther are still delightful diamonds in the rough. Then there is John-Boy; he really is a complicated character with many moods and changes. It might be just me but I also just can't help feeling a strong underlying gay current running through him ... so many of his situations have had a slight homoerotic air to them. Watch and decide for yourselves if you ever get the chance.

This final episode of season two was charming and touching if not extremely predictable. The acting from the leads and the guest characters was fine and more layered than normal. John-Boy, now that he has graduated, seems to have matured a bit and did not resort to the histrionics he quite often fell into.

Now ... I rewound twice and I am sure that there is a blooper in this show. The dark car in question throughout the episode seems to have suddenly turned yellow with no explanation at the end.

Does anyone else agree with any of my observations here?