The Waltons

The Caretakers

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Jan 23, 1975 on CBS

• Easy Does It

Not for the first time, Zeb packs his suitcase and walks out on his family. This time, however, he takes Esther with him. While you could say this is just a reworking of an old storyline (The Separation), I prefer to think of it as good continuity of character.

Zeb's reason for leaving does feel a little contrived, and of course we all know he'll be back by the end - The Waltons doesn't do cliffhangers - but it's a decent story and the housesitting job at least gives them somewhere to go. One thing I've always liked about this show is the way the various generations mould together so well, and this episode makes the point nicely. Without Zeb and Esther, the rest of the family are completely at sea.

Rather than patch things up with his father, John hires a bloke named Easy Jackson to help out at the mill. He's a total disaster when it comes to sawing wood, but he does unwittingly get John and Zeb speaking again, so on balance, it was a worthwhile appointment.

It's a notably light week for John-boy. Still, I guess he did get most of the limelight last week, so that's fair enough. I note also that Corabeth has already started tinkering with Ike's store. This will be an ongoing theme for the rest of the show. Ike does have a point. Dolls and shawls in a village grocery store? I can't really see them being bestsellers.