The Waltons

The Carousel

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Feb 12, 1981 on CBS

• The Pyjamas

According to Porter Sims, the wandering travel writer from Season Four, something cobbled together from leftover scraps is known as a 'boondoggle'. It's a shame there's already an episode with that name, as it would have been perfect here. This week's offering sees the creepy fairground dream from 'The Ferris Wheel' spliced onto the 'daughter finds estranged mother' story from 'The Lie'.

It doesn't stop there. From 'The Love Story', we have the father killed in a car crash whilst visiting his daughter, while the birth shrouded in mystery is taken from 'The Secret'. Plus we have Drew and Elizabeth falling out over nothing from, er, every episode ever to feature Drew and Elizabeth.

I don't see why Cindy's father had to die. We only met him a few weeks back! It's also never explained why he kept Cindy's adoption a secret. No doubt all will be revealed when we later find him alive and well in Florida.

The unconvincing plot is accompanied by some equally half-hearted acting, particularly from Cindy's mother. There are also some classic Hollywood cliches: flashes of thunderless lightning to show it's raining; main characters lingering at the graveside when everyone else has left. My favourite has to be the lawyer with the close-up view of the Capitol Building through his back window. Where exactly is this office? There's no sign of it on Google Earth.

It's not all bad. Ben is very sweet this week. Since joining the series, Cindy has brought out a whole other side to him and I like it. I'm also enjoying Drew kipping at the house. More pyjama shots please! We even get Steve Prince. See! It could be worse.