The Waltons

The Celebration

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Dec 22, 1977 on CBS

7.4
  • The Fenceposts

After years of being in debt, John Walton at last has the money to pay off his loans. And to make matters even better, an order for three hundred fenceposts arrives the same day. This is a feel-good episode through and through - right until Ike arrives with his news at the end. The way everyone pulls together at the mill reminds me a lot of 'The Venture', and I love the scenes showing them all at work. The sight of Olivia dressed as a cowgirl is something I shan't forget in a hurry. She looks like she should be doing a turn at the Dew Drop!

Ralph Waite is wonderful this week. He seldom gets to smile like this, and it's a real treat when he does. You can almost feel the joy bursting through the screen. Must have felt like an on-set holiday for him. Alongside the cheer, Marcia Woolery makes a surprise comeback and takes an immediate shine to Hank. Corabeth does not approve. She claims it's because Marcia is a hussy, but we all know it's because she's jealous. After all, Corabeth never knew Marcia when she lived in Walton's Mountain. Cue much comedy fainting at the party.

I mentioned Ike's news. In possibly his worst business move ever, he buys fifty discount fridges and attempts to flog them in his store. Are there even fifty houses in Walton's Mountain? There certainly aren't fifty with power. Unsurprisingly, he doesn't sell any and is forced to come begging for money from John. Oh well - I guess being debt-free for twenty minutes is better than nothing at all.

Pick of the bunch: Corabeth Godsey (Ronnie Claire Edwards)

Alternate title: The Prodigals (in its dictionary sense of 'a man who spends money in a recklessly extravagant way')

Score: 9.0