The Waltons

The Ceremony

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Nov 09, 1972 on CBS

6.1
  • The Germans (Part I)

This is the first in a long line of German-themed episodes. It's a well-written hour and it showcases the 'family and friendship' theme of the series very well. I particularly liked the scene with the children in the treehouse.

Given how religious they are, the Waltons seem incredibly open-minded in this episode, even allowing their children to go to a Jewish service. Contrast this with their reaction when Jason's girlfriend tells them she is Jewish in a later instalment.

The Manns are typical Hollywood Germans. They speak near-perfect English yet feel the need to say 'ja' at the end of every sentence. Walton's Mountain seems a strange place for them to hide. Surely they would be better off in a town with mixed heritage rather than a village where everybody is of British descent? Interestingly, Eva is played by Will Geer's daughter: I didn't think that accent was real.

It's a heartening story though, and it's a shame we never see any of them again. Perhaps they decided America wasn't for them.
  • After Jimbob and a friend accidently throw a rock through a jewish family's window, the family inside starts to worry that the torture they fled from in Germany is followng them to Walton's Mountain.

7.4
    This woudld've been a whole lot better if the newcomers were actually series newcomers. I mean, why the heck don't we see these people in other episodes? Well, subside that for a while, this episode was sorta painful to watch if you think about it, I mean, think about it: this family is freaked out because a rock was thrown through their window, and that is all caused by stupid jerky Hitler running Germany like it's his. Speaking of Hitler in this episode, when a Walton is talking to Ike Godsey, he says "Yeah, Everything's running a muck in Germany because of that new Hitler character." He says something like that. I sorta recamend this episode ~Old Shows Finatic