The Waltons

The Changeling

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Oct 26, 1978 on CBS

2.7
  • An American Haunting

Definitely one of The Waltons' more wtf? moments, but with decent work by Michael and Kami. It goes without saying that the story is a crazy choice for this show. A plot like this may work on 'Charmed' or 'Bewitched', but it certainly doesn't work here. The writers should have known better.

Like the viewers, the cast must have been shaking their heads at the script, but this doesn't show in their performances. It seems strange as hell to see John and Olivia discussing poltergeists at the table, but you can't deny it's well acted. The floating chairs and self-playing pianos are another matter, though, and as for that doll on the windowsill...

I do have a big issue with the title of this episode. A changeling is not simply a child growing up, it is a term from folklore meaning a child swapped at birth by fairies or elves. Whatever Elizabeth may be, I'm pretty sure she isn't that. We also hear John and Olivia refer to her as a 'teenager' - a word which wasn't in use until the 1950s.

I did like Jason as 'Cousin George'. Made me chuckle. The scene where he comes clean on air is lifted straight from 'The Book', where John-boy did exactly the same thing. We also get John Perryman back as the phone engineer. Clearly, that mining job in 'The Return' didn't suit him. And speaking of mining, did anyone notice the boss of the radio station was the mine owner at that hearing in 'The Wedding'? No? Must just have been me then.

Lastly, how the heck is Jason still at uni? He must be a frickin' professor by now!

Pick of the bunch: Elizabeth Walton (Kami Cotler)

Alternate title: The Ghost Story