The Waltons

The Choice

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Feb 06, 1975 on CBS

• Trouble at t'Mill

I don't know why, but I love Jason-based episodes. It's probably because there are so few in these early seasons. This one pits Jason's dream to become a musician against John's plan for him to take over the family business. The timing couldn't be worse for poor Jason: John and Zeb decide to build a new mill just as he finds out he is eligible for a musical scholarship. It's a straight fight between chasing your dreams and taking the practical option. This is Hollywood, of course, so I'm sure I don't need to tell you which side wins.

For me, this is very much Jason's coming-of-age episode. Until now, he has been a schoolboy with an ear for a tune. Now, he has a plan and a mission. Jon Walmsley puts in a thoroughly convincing performance, probably because he is so interested in music himself. Top marks to him! I found it slightly annoying that the writers chose to have John-boy start his novel this same week, but I guess it's better than having a meaningless subplot.

The plans for the new mill sound good. I look forward to seeing how that works out. Luckily for John (and for Jason), Ben seems very keen to join the family business. We were told he was 'almost sixteen' a few weeks ago, so presumably they won't have long to wait.

Line of the week goes to Mary Ellen, when Esther tells her that John-boy and Jason deserve their talents because they are boys. 'Grandma, I think I'm going to scream if you finish that sentence'. Class.