The Waltons

The Cloudburst

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Nov 11, 1976 on CBS

• The Meadow

Two distinct storylines, each in two halves, and each packed with character development. This is a fine and thought-provoking hour. Don't pay too much heed to the title: there is a cloudburst, but it's kind of by the by.

Plot One: John-boy needs cash to pay off the loan on his printing press, so he sells his namesake meadow to a developer. He then finds out the developer wants to use the land as an opencast mine. This is good, intriguing stuff. I was suspicious of the developer at once (too many years spent working in town planning) but I never expected him to propose a hydraulic mine. Good surprise and nice use of stock footage. Having sold his meadow, John-boy then spends the rest of the episode trying desperately to save the mountain. His speech at the open air service is the highlight, and Richard delivers it well. I like that the developer kept hold of the meadow. It gave the whole episode a sad tang of reality.

Plot Two: Mary Ellen faints while helping Curt with a patient, and begins to doubt herself as a nurse and a wife. She then redeems herself by delivering a baby single-handedly. This isn't as strong as the first plot, but it does provide some good drama. Top marks to the producer for bringing back Martha Rose. Absolutely loving her husband! It's great that she's finally able to make up with Mary Ellen, even if she is choking half to death when she does it. And it's a cracking farewell performance from Cindy Eilbacher.

It's a light week for John and the children, who only get a handful of lines between them. And last but not least, it's a warm welcome to baby Fordwick. I think it was a girl.