The Waltons

The Comeback

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Oct 07, 1976 on CBS

5.5
  • The Pub

I thought this was going to be a full-on Jason-based episode after the first ten minutes, but it ends up focusing on two substories, albeit both connected to Jason's new job at the Dew Drop Inn. There's still plenty of Jason in it, and I'm giving it a good mark for that reason, but he kind of peters out towards the end.

I do like the Dew Drop Inn. That first shot, when Jason walks in to ask for a job, sets it up as some kind of dusty saloon bar from a western. I also love that John asks for "a couple of beers" on his first visit, and the bar staff know exactly what to bring him. Wish the pubs by me were like that.

As to the subplots, the first is the better of the two. It features Yancy Tucker hiding from a barmaid named Sissy that he proposed to a few weeks back. Sissy is a very likeable character, and she really brings the story to life. Why can't John-boy find someone like her? The idea of Yancy agreeing to get wed is kind of out there, but that's exactly what happens at the end of the episode. I look forward to the wedding.

The other subplot is far less interesting, even if it does give the episode its title. You'll need to have watched 'The Gift' (2x19) to know who the Turners are, and even then they're a bit of a random pair to bring back, as they only appeared fleetingly. I also don't get why they brought in a real singer to play Red Turner, as he is blatantly miming during his performance. Bring back Bobby Bigelow!