The Waltons

The Cradle

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Jan 31, 1974 on CBS

• The Miscarriage

I guess Olivia falling pregnant is an obvious storyline for this show. In fact, I'm surprised it's taken this long. Having her become a door-to-door salesman is rather less likely, though she seems to take to it well.

Reactions are rather mixed. Elizabeth gets jealous instantly, claiming only she can be the baby of the family. This strikes me as a little odd, given most seven year olds are only too keen to show how grown up they are. Even Mary Ellen seems put out. Thankfully, John and the others are more supportive. John-boy's cradle is very impressive, I have to say. Wish I could make stuff that well.

At the time this aired, the viewers would not have known how the pregnancy would turn out, so the miscarriage would have been a genuine shock. With this in mind, I find it all the more surprising how lightly they deal with it. I mean, I get that they don't want to show all the gore, but there's no drama at all. Olivia goes to her room feeling unwell, then the next scene shows John telling the kids what has happened. As last week, the hard part is completely glossed over.

Chuckle of the week has to be when Dr Vance tells Olivia she's no spring chicken. All the funnier seeing as Michael Learned was only 34 when this was filmed. Many women nowadays haven't even had their first child at that age!