The Waltons

The Elopement

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Jan 13, 1977 on CBS

• The Shopkeeper

Chad Marshall is back and this time he's sticking around. He and Erin pick up precisely where they left off in 'The Competition', and as the title suggests, they end up running off to get hitched. Although it's clear they are very much in love, their haste to get wed comes as quite a surprise. Given that Chad will be living just round the corner, I don't know what all the rush is about, but perhaps that's the point: teenagers aren't known for thinking things through.

Chad seems a lot less annoying this time round. The shorter hair helps, and Michael O'Keefe's acting has definitely improved. He's actually good fun to watch. As others have pointed out, Mary McDonough's acting can be a little skewy at times, but this week her emotions are spot on.

There's very little Ben or Mary Ellen this week, but John-boy and Jason do share a subplot when Ike leaves them in charge of his store. Trouble comes in the shape of Maude Gormley, who swiftly runs up a bill she can't pay. Luckily for them, it turns out she has some paintings she can sell, and it's all smiles by the end.

This is the first in a long run of episodes without Ellen Corby. I know it sounds daft, but I feel I should say 'get well soon'. I guess she's still alive for me.