The Waltons

The Emergence

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Nov 06, 1975 on CBS

• This has the 'how many cliche's can I squeeze into one episode -- find out tonight on the Waltons.

2.3
    Ralph Waite once again fails to show and this time its with good reason. This is a stinker. The show focuses on two different plot lines. One is Olivia helping out a struggling new student who is thought to be dumb. The parents are presented as entirely ignorant dispassionate family members who see him as an idiot and Olivia - still teaching -- is thrown against the wall as the entire town is against the situation and her focus on the child but don't worry -- he'll be OK in the end with his Superman glasses! On the other end we have John Boy caught up in a situation with an old girlfriend that is engaged to someone else so of course is filled with pointless execution helping her find her way in life -- can John Boy do this before the hour ends? This episode tries so hard to make you hate it and it works well on that level with plots that feel like they have been sanded down to the bone. Jim Bob appears very annoyed at the entire situation and you know what -- so am I!