The Waltons

The Festival

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Jan 26, 1978 on CBS

• The Trumpet

After Ben and Jim Bobs' shenanigans last week, this hour sees Jason and Elizabeth take their turn in the limelight. Jason befriends little Josh Foster, while Elizabeth gets her first boyfriend.

It's great to see the Fosters as a family. This is the only time we get to see all four together, even if Jody and Josh are played by different actors this time round. To be fair, the kid playing Josh sounds a heck of a lot like the last one, and I didn't realise it was somebody new until I got to the credits and saw his name was Bond. James Bond. As for Jody - well, whatever Verdie's been cooking, she needs to give some to Ben.

Much like 'The Stray', the story is a bit of a dig at pre-war race relations. Jason tries his hardest to get Josh a turn on his trumpet at the local show, but the organisers have a strict 'no negroes' policy and Josh goes home disappointed. Harley has little sympathy, telling Josh he should keep his head down and know his place. I was surprised to hear him sound so fatalistic, but thinking about it, a lot of folks probably did think like that back then.

Meanwhile, Elizabeth takes a shine to a new boy at school. She faces stiff competition from Amy, but she gets him in the end after taking advice from Erin. She's had her admirers before, of course, but this is the first time she's shown interest in a boy. Other viewers may disagree, but I think it's nice to see her growing up at last.