The Waltons

The Fire

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Jan 11, 1973 on CBS

6.7
  • The Creationist

Some real drama this week as a wayward father takes offence at the local school and decides to burn it down, killing himself in the process. I hadn't realised they knew about Cro-Magnon man in the 1930s, and I certainly didn't think they would be teaching it in schools in the American south. Just goes to show how much you can learn from The Waltons.

Laurie Prange puts in a great performance as the downtrodden Lois Bascomb. She creates a very believable character and it's a shame we don't see her again. The idea of the smart-but-held-back child is one they will come back to several times in this show.

In a way, it's a shame they called this episode The Fire, as it gives the plot away rather cheaply. Even so, I didn't expect the father to be trapped in the flames. Although they stopped short of showing the body, his death was strong stuff for a show like this.

I can't believe the bloke who played the father was only 35 (according to this website). He looked way old than that. Must be that California sun.
  • When a young girl's alcholic father objects to Miss. Hunter's teaching on evolution, he decides that no school is better than an athiest school.

FIRST OF ALL- if you've never watched the Waltons and this is your first review reading about an episode, than you need to know, 'The Waltons is a GODfearing show', none of the people in the community are athiests, it is only the moronic father of an innocent girl. Now that we have that out of the way,let's talk about this utterly outstanding and innovative episode! This is one of those episodes that you'll remember for a long time. It has it all! Saddness, happiness, and even humor! This is a great episode that shows ust what The Waltons are made of! If you watch this episode you will not feel that rejection feeling like so many other shows give you.*I completely recomend this episode!*~ Old shows finatic