The Waltons

The First Day

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Sep 19, 1974 on CBS

• The Country Boy

Another brilliant installment, and a real contrast to last week's powerful story. This hour sees John-boy spend his first day at college while his kin back home learn how to cope without him.

The college campus provides a fresh, new setting for the show and a chastening experience for poor old John-boy. It's impossible not to feel sorry for the bloke. He starts the day so positively, up before dawn with his suit on, but as soon as he gets in the car his day turns into a string of disasters. First up, the world's most annoying girl latches onto him, then his car gets impounded and the older students turn out to be a bunch of immature bell-ends who act like playground bullies. All I can say is I'm glad my university wasn't like that!

The goat scene is hilarious, although I did feel desperately sorry for John-boy. (I was every bit as gullible as him when I started uni). Sean Connery lookalike, Professor Ghote, is great value, and comes out with some brilliant one-liners. I do hope we get to see more of him in future.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Jason decides to become the children's second father. They are having none of it. It doesn't go unnoticed either. At one point, John refers to him as a drill sergeant. This is, of course, what Jason will later choose as a job. Perhaps this is where they got the idea.