The Waltons

The First Edition

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Sep 23, 1976 on CBS

• The Whole Truth and Nothing but the Truth

With John-boy's newspaper up and running, the hunt is on for headlines, and our hero is determined to publish the truth, whatever the cost to others. When the headline is a drunk-driving judge, there's little to prick his conscience, but when it's his own brother in the dock, things become rather less clear. It's a clever, thought-provoking start to the new season.

John-boy can be pretty unyielding when he wants to be, and this week really makes that point. I confess I didn't see Ben's involvement coming. It's a wonderful twist, and Olivia's protective reaction is spot-on. Great drama and lovely acting.

At the same time, we have a strong subplot in which Corabeth thinks she's expecting, only to find out she isn't, and that she can't have children. Unable to face Ike, she decides to go back to D'oh Hill. This is surprisingly touching, and we get to see a tender side to Ike which we wouldn't normally see. Their reconciliation is very nicely done. Other standout scenes include the chaotic typesetting at the start, and of course, Olivia threatening to smash the printing press.

This episode owes much to earlier instalments. We have lawbending Ben from 'The Lie', John-boy witnessing a wrongdoing from 'The Chicken Thief' and a pregnancy coming to naught from 'The Cradle'. Proof that recycled themes can still create a gripping, new story.

• Lessons on Love and Loyalty

When Judge Thornburg slams his car into a storefront, John-Boy intends to write the incident up in his paper, The Blue Ridge Chronicle. But, when John-Boy's brother Ben gets arrested for breaking and entering it makes putting the first edition of his paper to bed a tricky business.

Corabeth suspects she's pregnant and begins planning for a new addition to the Godsey family.

You won't want to miss this classic episode of The Waltons, packed with lessons on love and loyalty.