The Waltons

The Five Foot Shelf

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Mar 07, 1974 on CBS

• The Doll

This was the first episode of the Waltons I ever watched end to end. I still couldn't remember all the children's names by the end of it!

In essence, it's another 'stranger shows up on Walton's Mountain' episode, but this time with a twist; the stranger is a travelling salesman who cons the Waltons into buying an expensive set of books then fails to deliver on his promise.

As so often, it's all smiles by the end, but ahead of this there are some awkward decisions to be made. Ralph Waite, in particular, puts in an excellent performance and would certainly get my vote on the MVP list if he were there. Guest actor, Ben Piazza, is also good as the book salesman, Mr Reed (groan!).

Mr Reed's behaviour is odd, to say the least. Surely if you'd just conned somebody AND spent their money at the local store, you'd take the first bus out of town. Instead, Mr Reed hangs around for a whole day at the Waltons' house just waiting to get caught. I also can't believe that John let him walk off scot-free. What kind of an example is that to set?

It was funny seeing John-boy behaving like an excited schoolboy at the thought of all those books. What a contrast to the calm young man we saw in last week's episode. I also loved how Esther was shouting 'wipe your feet' at everybody who walked into the kitchen, despite there being no doormat on the floor. Er... on what, Grandma? You?