The Waltons

The Gold Watch

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Feb 26, 1981 on CBS

• Bored, Bored, Bored

Well, this isn't how I'd have chosen to mark the show's two hundredth episode. Of the eleven original Waltons, only five appear this week, and only Jason gets anything more than a few supporting lines. The bulk of the airtime goes to Rose and her former lover, Stanley, who gobble up the minutes with talking, moping and more talking.

The main plot really drags. The last time Stanley appeared, there was at least a bit of zip in his story. This time, he just bumbles around doing nothing. It's obvious he's not right, and it's equally obvious he'll be fixed by the end of the hour. Still, I guess it's good to know depression can be cured by a few people telling you they like you. It annoyed me how everybody kept accusing Stanley of leaving Rose: he was all set to marry her until she talked him into taking a job in California. Her fault, not his!

As the token Walton in the story, Jason gets a subplot in which he and Toni hire a singer to drum up business at the Dew Drop Inn. This is actually quite good, despite the lousy guest actor playing Johnny Calico. I think Calico the cat had more acting talent. Surprise, surprise, Johnny walks out and Jason ends up singing. You have to ask why he didn't do this to begin with, as the punters seem to love it. The best moment comes when Jason punches Johnny and gets called a 'dumb hick'. Hehe!

Did Lisa Harrison actually sing that duet with Jon? She has a good voice if so. There's no-one else credited, so I assume it was her. Fair play!

Pick of the bunch: Toni Hazelton (Lisa Harrison)

Alternate title: The Song