The Waltons

The Gypsies

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Feb 01, 1973 on CBS

2.7
  • We Ask for Nothing: We Take Nothing

A bit of a strange episode, this, and not the most convincing, but I've seen worse.

The way the gypsies are portrayed is actually quite plausible, and the episode does at least avoid the usual Hollywood cliches, such as crystal balls and big, hoopy earrings. It's the visitors' behaviour that's so strange. If they only arrived from Bulgaria a few years ago, why do they speak English to each other when they're alone? And why refuse to accept anything from the Waltons when they are only too happy to steal from the Baldwins? It doesn't make much sense.

There's far too much time spent on them at the start of the episode with next to no dialogue. It really drags. And the way the Waltons welcome them with open arms seems far fetched to say the least. Even by their open-door standards, this is a step too far. Matt Beckwith's reaction, though harsh, is probably more true to life. Even today, folk are suspicious of gypsies. I thought something might happen between Mary Ellen and the son, but they never got beyond a couple of questions.

For once, I was with Esther all the way through. Can influenza really be cured by holding a baby over a tub of water though? I doubt that very much.

It's a shame they didn't make this episode further down the line; I'd love to have seen what Corabeth made of them.

Pick of the bunch: Esther Walton (Ellen Corby)

Alternate title: The Intruders