The Waltons

The Heartbreaker

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Feb 17, 1977 on CBS

6.6
  • The Music Scene

Poor Jason, he appears to have caught John-boy's dreadful taste in women. And not only that, but his love interest, Vanessa, is an actual hand-me-down from his big brother, being played by the same actress who played Alicia in The Spoilers. It's another good performance from her, and a thoughtful response from Jon Walmsley. The big letdowns this week are the script and direction, which make Vanessa a silly stereotype rather than a believable character. It's kind of hard to take anything she says seriously, and that scene where she and Jason are wandering round Curt's house yelling 'hello' is ridiculous.

Jason is so struck by Vanessa that he fails to see she is only in it for a leg-up on the music scene. To be fair, he doesn't come across as overly naive, but I am getting fed up of 'innocent' Walton men being taken for a ride by conniving women. There must be some plain ol' country girls in Jefferson County.

There's not much time for a subplot this week, but we get one nonetheless. It comes when Zeb takes offence at a word in John-boy's novel. The word? Vulpine. Yep - I had to look it up too. Their shortlived conflict is actually the best bit of the story. It's sad to think Richard will be leaving in a few episodes' time. Enjoy him while you can!