The Waltons

The Heritage

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Jan 17, 1974 on CBS

• The Hot Tub

When Zeb pulls his back and goes for a soak in the hot pool (yes, the Waltons apparently have volcanic springs on their land) he and John-boy meet a couple of developers who take a shine to their mountain.

To be fair, this is a pretty original storyline. It's the first time we've seen the Waltons consider changing their way of life, and I'm glad the writers got them to give it some serious thought. Of course, accepting the offer would have changed the whole premise of the show, so that was never going to happen. Still, John is sorely tempted, and his quandary forms the backbone of the plot. Ralph Waite doesn't appear on the MVP list for the episode but if he did he'd get my vote.

Interestingly, with all the money on offer, there's no mention of the quarrels which took place in 'The Bequest'. I was also less than impressed with John-boy's speech at the young uns' bedside. How come Jim Bob and Elizabeth are sharing a bed anyway? I thought the girls slept in one room and the boys in another?

It's also Zeb and Esthers' golden wedding anniversary this week. The party itself is a little silly, but there's a very touching scene up on the mountain when they are recalling their first time together. The way the different generations interact is one of the best things about this show. On most programmes, grandparents are usually just there for a few comedy moments, but not this one. Please keep up the good work.