The Waltons

The Hero

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Feb 03, 1977 on CBS

• Perfect Every Time

I'd been wondering when they would do a First World War episode. Given that it would still have been fresh in the memory in 1937, Esther's idea of an honour day is spot on. With her ongoing illness, it's left to John-boy to organise things and to write an article for the Blue Ridge Chronicle.

The hero in question is Ep Bridges. It turns out he won quite few medals in the war, but true to character, he has never mentioned it. It's a heartfelt performance from John Crawford. In a truly eye-watering coincidence, the woman who gives John-boy the information for his article just happens to be Ep's wartime sweetheart, Sarah. Jim Bob takes a major shine to her when he finds out she was an ambulance driver in the war, leaving Patsy unimpressed. At least, I think it's Patsy; they keep changing the actress.

Ben, meanwhile, decides to carve a bench in honour of his namesake uncle, who died in the war. He makes a decent fist of it, and it certainly endears him to his grandpa. The ending is a little cutesy, but I can forgive that. What I can't understand is why John has so little involvement in the story, other than to talk about Uncle Ben. He fought in the First World War yet he barely features at all. It's all rather strange.