The Waltons

The Home Front (2)

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Sep 20, 1979 on CBS

5.7
  • The Magic Trousers

There's high drama in part two as Calvin Satterfield makes good his threat to take out one of the Waltons. Nobody dies, of course, but he and John have a stand-off, and Calvin even takes a pot shot at Jim Bob. It's the first time we've seen anything like this since 'The Conflict'. Just when it looks like there's no way out, Olivia turns up with news that John-boy is missing. We then have a very moving funeral for Tommy, complete with a military salute. Such a shame GW never had a send-off like this.

The other plots resolve themselves fairly straightforwardly. Amy's is the pick of the bunch. Dumped by Jim Bob! Teehee! Seriously though, I can't believe how much Rachel Longaker has grown up since we last saw her. I always thought she was a year or two younger than Kami, but apparently not.

Erin provides this week's lighthearted relief. To prove to JD that she is more than just a pretty face, she dresses up as Scarlet O'Hara. It's funny but completely bizarre. I mean, where on Earth did she get that costume? Is there a fancy dress shop in Walton's Mountain?

Speaking of clothing, did anybody else spot Jason's magic trousers? As he walks through the door after speaking to Mary Ellen, they change spontaneously from brown to blue.

There's no closing narration this week; we simply see the light in John-boy's room go out. Presumably, the producers want to keep us guessing on his fate. Thing is, the narrator at the beginning and end of each episode is supposed to be present-day John-boy, so we all know he can't have been killed. Nice try!

Pick of the bunch: Amy Godsey (Rachel Longaker)

Alternate title: The Volunteer