The Waltons

The Hot Rod

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Feb 19, 1981 on CBS

7.7
  • The Boys are Back in Town

Jim Bob bumps into Jody Foster on the day they get discharged, and the two men decide to hang out for a bit. This may not sound like much of a story, but it's actually a really good romp - kind of like a grown-up version of 'The Flight'. There's also a plot for the Baldwins, who discover a secret room containing their grandfather's long-lost still. It's silly, but very good fun.

First up, I'm loving this new Jody. He has some real chemistry with Jim Bob. Their shenanigans are thoroughly believable, and guest actor, Charles Penland, is outstanding. It's a real shame this is the only time we get to see him. The same cannot be said for the boy playing Josh, who is as wooden as they come. Both Jody and Josh have now been played by three different actors.

I'm with Jody and Jim Bob one hundred percent in this episode. You'd think they'd be given a few days to unwind and get themselves together, but no! Jody doesn't even make it through the door before Verdie starts hounding him to get a job. And why does everyone keep lecturing Jim Bob about running away from his responsibilities? He doesn't have any! Even by Walton standards, this is taking the Protestant work ethic too far. It's alright to take time off!

The Baldwins' story is pretty bizarre to begin with, but it does make sense in the end. I loved the hidden room, despite all those Hollywood cobwebs. That shot of Ike leading the sisters through the secret panel was proper Scooby Doo.

What the heck is going on with John-boy? We've not seen him for weeks, and were told by John that he'd moved to New York, yet here he is at home as if he's been here all along. If he has, this makes it doubly rich for him to be criticising Jim Bob.

Unexplained John-boy aside, this is a well-written hour which takes you back to the early, more innocent days of the show. Definitely one to watch.

Pick of the bunch: Jody Foster (Charles Penland)

Alternate title: The Car