The Waltons

The Hunt

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Oct 05, 1972 on CBS

• The Iron Man

So John-boy has been dreading going on his first hunt. Yeah, I can understand that. Fits well with his character. When he failed to shoot the turkey I was worried the episode might degenerate into another round of fluffy animal love, but our hero swiftly redeems himself by shooting a bear and saving his dad. Incidentally, we learn in a later episode that bears can be frightened off simply by banging two stones together, but neither of the Johns appears to know this.

Mary-Ellen gets a sub plot in which she has to choose between buying a dress and buying a baseball glove. In the end she chooses the glove and successfully attracts a man, giving us our first glimpse of the son-in-law we all wish we had: GW Haynes.

Seriously, what on Earth is John Sr made of? He gets mauled by a bear for a good few minutes then gets up without a scratch. How can he even be alive, let alone unharmed? The bloke must be made of iron!

Impossible toughness aside, this is a decent hour with plenty to think about and just a hint of danger.
  • Finally after years of wanting to go hunting with his relatives, but does Jonboy really want to kill a living thing?

A very memorable episode. That's all I really have to say, but since I have a 100 word minumum, let's stretch it out a bit. A V E R Y M E M O R A B L E E P I S O D E there. okay it's stretched out a bit, but I don't want to be dissin' Waltons so I'll add a whole lot more to it. First of all, the fact that Jonboy shot and killed a bear which was wrestling his dad, even though he didn't want to, he did it. And for that, it's deserved a flashback in many other episodes. I totally recamend this episode~old shows finatic