The Waltons

The Idol

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Jan 10, 1980 on CBS

• Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying

Elizabeth befriends her latest teacher, Hazel Lamphere, only to find out her new bestie does not have long to live. If this sounds like 'The Gift', that's because it is, and the writers recognise this by having Jason console Elizabeth, recorder in hand.

This is also the week that Ben becomes a father. It all seems to happen rather swiftly. When Curt and Mary Ellen had their baby, there was a whole episode written around it. This time, Ben gets drunk at the Dew Drop Inn and wakes up to find Cindy has sprogged. The proud parents name their baby 'Virginia'. Just as well the show isn't set in Rhode Island or New Mexico.

Susan Krebs is very good as Hazel. She'd have made a great addition to the cast if she'd arrived a few seasons earlier, but I guess it wasn't to be. That scene where she is hanging off the curtains in pain is possibly the most harrowing of the series. I'm not sure that's how it is with brain tumours, but it does get the point across. Her childbirth class provides something for Corabeth to rail against, though I don't get how Jeffrey could possibly think babies arrive in bags when he's been sharing a house with a pregnant woman for the past eight months.

One last thing: I've never understood why TV characters get angry at their friends when they die. I can't imagine any reaction less likely. Just give her a hug for goodness sake!