The Waltons

The Illusion

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Nov 16, 1978 on CBS

• The Angst

An ambitious story, and one which deals with a relevant theme for the time, but very heavy handed and rather too easily resolved. The action revolves around Verdie's daughter, Esther, and her anger at not being able to find a career on account of being black. I am sympathetic to her plight, and the points she makes are all pretty valid, but she is so confrontational it kind of undermines her case. Her rant against Corabeth is fair enough, but threatening JD with blackmail is not the way to apply for a job.

I mention JD. This is his first appearance, and the beginning of a long and testing relationship between him and Erin. I would describe him as a lovable rogue, but I'm not sure he's all that lovable. I'm just glad I'm not the one responsible for keeping his blood pressure down.

This is possibly the most Walton-light episode yet. John and Jim Bob appear only in the opening scene, while the others are there solely to comment on Verdie's story. Only Erin gets any action of her own. The best moment by far is the look on that bloke's face when Erin crawls under the table to pick up the tins. Tee hee.

It's good to meet one of Verdie's own children at last, and the actress who plays Esther does a great job. I have to hand it to the writers for not shying away from the issue of race, but at the same time, it would be nice to see Verdie as a regular neighbour just for once.