The Waltons

The Inferno

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Feb 10, 1977 on CBS

• The Reporter

They certainly like their flame-related titles on this show. So far, we've had 'The Fire', 'The Burn-Out', 'The Firestorm' and now this. It's a bold move by the producers to tackle a real-life event like the Hindenburg disaster, but I have to say it doesn't really work.

The early scenes are fine. The writing contest is good value, and there's some great dialogue as Ben and Jason put John-boy on the bus to New Jersey. When it comes to the airship itself, however, it's another matter. The archive footage simply doesn't work. For a start, it's all in black and white. In some scenes, the ground has been coloured red and the sky blue, but it's far from convincing. We then have some truly awful green screen moments. The less said about these, the better. Out of interest, this is the first time since Season One that any action has taken place outside Virginia. To date, John-boy remains the only Walton to have stepped beyond the hallowed turf.

Curt and Mary Ellen get this week's subplot. Since they've been married, we've barely seen them, so this marks a welcome return. Curt is annoyed about random Waltons constantly wandering in and out of his house when he wants to be alone with his wife. I can sympathise with this, even if some of the acting is a bit corny. What I can't forgive is Curt treating Jim Bob's peacock in the same room as his human patients. Bird flu, anyone?

The ending is surprisingly effective. John-boy finally puts into words how he feels about the crash, while John and Olivia at last get the house to themselves. That shot of Olivia leaning against the porch though. Classic.

Pick of the bunch: Curt Willard (Tom Bower)

Alternate title: The Firestorm