The Waltons

The Job

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Nov 21, 1974 on CBS

7.4
  • The Picnic

When I saw the title, I thought we might be about to see Cousin Job again. Not quite. Instead, John-boy takes a job reading to a blind woman in Westham. The episode then deals with their relationship and John-boy's attempt to bring her out of her shell.

It's not a bad story, and the guest actress is pretty convincing, but it does tend to plod. It's obvious from the start that our hero will eventually get Ruth to come out of the house, but her relapse after Elizabeth's accident is a good twist. I'd never heard the phrase 'stone blind' until I watched this episode. 'Stone deaf', certainly, but never 'stone blind'. Interesting.

Mary Ellen's interest in medicine continues, and she shows good empathy with Ruth's blindness. Ruth's condition means there is a focus on touch and sound throughout the episode, which is both welcome and unusual, and the goodnight scene at the end is probably the best yet.

Jim Bob's voice is definitely starting to break. The writers must already regret having him give his date of birth as '1924' a few weeks ago. Note to production team: don't cast thirteen-year old boys as ten-year olds. It will come back to bite you very quickly!