The Waltons

The Journal

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Oct 25, 1979 on CBS

5.7
  • The Waiting Game

I was wondering when John and Olivia would wake up to the fact their son is missing. Since they heard the news a few episodes ago, they've barely mentioned him. We know John-boy can't be dead, of course, as his future self narrates the beginning and end of each episode - just last week, he was talking about how Erin had come to visit him in California. This is a shame, as there's some heartfelt acting from Michael and Ralph, and some decent support from the rest of the cast.

As if John-boy's plight weren't enough, the family dog dies as well. To be fair, the Waltons have had their hound since the beginning of the series, which was set more than ten years earlier. Perhaps it'll do a 'Chance' and spring back to life as if nothing had happened.

What can I say about Jeffrey? He really is a little sh*t. He's very mean to Ben and he deliberately drags the dog out on a walk, knowing it isn't well. He then expects everyone to feel sorry for him when it dies. I'm getting angry just writing this! Rose is also highly annoying this week. I wish the three of them would sod off back to Maryland.

The direction isn't the best, with several of those awful stand-with-your-back-to-someone-whilst-speaking-to-them scenes. One thing they do get right is the gathering at the end, where John and Olivia return from Richmond with news about John-boy. When Ben asks, "Is he dead?" it does feel very real.

Pick of the bunch: Ben Walton (Eric Scott)

Alternate title: The Book