The Waltons

The Last Mustang

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Dec 16, 1976 on CBS

• Vote for Me!

Oh, that pesky paper. Always getting John-boy into trouble. This week, our hero gets embroiled in a dodgy election campaign. In the blue corner, Ep Bridges: longstanding friend of the Waltons. In the red corner, Glen Oldfield: a smarmy politician with lofty ambitions. Despite his friendship with Ep, John-boy agrees to print posters for Glen, but only until the truth about his ambitions emerges. It isn't the most gripping story, but the guest slots are good. Alan Fudge, in particular, is excellent as the campaign manager, Arlo Jessop.

So what does any of this have to do with a mustang? Well, nothing really. The horse features in a wholly separate subplot involving Zeb and the boys. It's a bit of a non-story, but I guess if you like horses you'll enjoy it. It does, however, feature the world's puniest-looking livestock pen, which the Waltons build in order to hold the mustang while they brand it. Definitely worth a look and a laugh.

John-boy's decision to work for Glen Oldfield ushers in boatloads of favours, including a huge order for the mill. Needless to say, the favours dry up rather quickly when our hero changes his mind. For the family business, it's a case of what could have been. As John-boy himself says: "Sometimes, I wonder what we did for trouble round here before I got this newspaper". So true.

Pick of the bunch: Arlo Jessop (Alan Fudge)

Alternate title: The Legend

Score: 8.7

As we're now at the halfway point in the series, it's probably time for a recap on what the alternate title is all about. Basically, each title has been mapped onto a different episode which could also have had that name. Each title gets used once and there are no repeats. Just a bit of good ol' country fun!