The Waltons

The Last Straw

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Feb 07, 1980 on CBS

• A Bridge Too Far

This is another of those all-pull-together episodes which tend to happen when the mill is under stress. In that respect, it's a lot like 'The Venture'. The difference this time is that John chucks in his job partway through. He goes shooting with Jason then hits the bottle with Ike.

Ralph is great throughout. I've said this before, but I love it when he gets to smile. Doesn't happen nearly enough. His scene on the bridge with Joe is great fun. Of course, with two drunken blokes on a bridge that narrow, it's only going to end one way, and it's all the better when they drag Jason in with them. Really good entertainment.

Why oh why does John keep employing Easy Jackson? It always ends in a mess. This time, he knocks a machine onto poor Jim Bob and breaks his arm. If John's so highly respected, why can't he find somebody decent? There must be somebody better out there. It's a gripe I've had ever since Zeb died.

I didn't expect to see Dr Vance again. He's only credited as 'The Doctor', but it's the same actor, so it still counts. There's also a subplot for Jeffrey, who builds a go-cart with Jim Bob's help. Ben only appears in the forty-first minute, but it's enough for him to keep his position as the only male character to have appeared in every episode. And the last word goes to JD Pickett. This is the first time he's made it to the end of an episode without being slapped down or put in his place. Good for him!