The Waltons

The Last Ten Days

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Jan 08, 1981 on CBS

7.7
  • The Bomb

Another story focused on real-world events: this time, the dropping of the bomb and the end of the war with Japan. With such a strong backdrop, there's no real need for a plot, so the writers don't give us one. Instead, we see the various Waltons discussing the situation while dealing with relationship issues. Jason returns from Europe and gets most of the airtime, while Cindy and Elizabeth each get to do a bit of moping.

I am enjoying Ben's Pacific adventure. This time, he starts off locked in a sweltering tin shed, then gets sent on what looks for all the world like a death march, before ending the hour as a free man. Having his captor turn himself in to the Americans was a good twist, and I genuinely didn't see it coming. How lucky they were to find those freshly-scrubbed sweet potatoes lying beneath the leaves though. Not a fleck of mud.

Why does Drew persist with Elizabeth? She never has anything nice to say to him. This time, she objects to him wanting to train as a pilot. Having spent the whole episode putting him down, the Waltons' youngest then dresses to impress him in their final scene. Kami seems a little off-key this week. Perhaps she'd rather be kissing Tony than yelling at him.

What's the point of Cousin Rose? Her delinquent grandchildren are back with their father, and she clearly isn't needed round the house. Send her back to Maryland and save on the wage bill. The producers must have money to burn.