The Waltons

The Legacy

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Feb 22, 1979 on CBS

7.7
  • The Offspring

So, after all these years of build up, we finally get to meet the fabled Ashley Longworth. This is one episode I'd always hoped would be made, and it doesn't disappoint.

Of course, the Ashley we get to meet is not the great man himself, but his son - though this matters little to Emily Baldwin, who treats him as if he were his father and picks up right where she and Ashley Sr. left off. This sounds like it ought to be crazily funny, but it's actually rather touching. Thanks to their overbearing father, the Baldwins were never able to marry, so for Emily, seeing Ashley Jr. is as close as she will ever get to having a relationship.

Ashley himself is suitably dashing, though I don't get why he spends all week in his navy uniform. I mean, don't get me wrong, he looks very smart, but he's supposed to be on leave. Does he not have clothes of his own? A white suit is hardly the best thing for romping around in the woods. This doesn't seem to bother Erin, of course, who flings herself at him headlong in much the same way she does when encountering any man with a pulse.

Not for the first time, Elizabeth gets the subplot. This week, she has growing pains and misses her mum. Olivia sends her a bra. I like the way the family misses Olivia. Too many shows forget about their characters the instant they are gone, but not this one. John's phone calls make it even more real. Please keep up the good work!

Pick of the bunch: Ashley Longworth (Jonathan Frakes)

Alternate title: The Pin-Up