The Waltons

The Legend

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Nov 16, 1972 on CBS

• The Letdown

Being a legend can be hard to live up to. Sadly, this turns out to be the case for John's wartime buddy, Tip - y'know, the one whose tales the whole family knows by heart but have somehow never been mentioned before today.

In fairness, I thought Tip was good value and I really enjoyed the singing scene. It's about time they all had a bit of fun. Champagne too! Worth it for the look on Esther's face alone. I did think the 'chirpy-on-the-outside-but-lonely-within' clich was laid on rather too thick though. The instant Tip shuts the bedroom door he goes from party beast to depressed alcoholic. Still, it makes for a good storyline.

Huge credit to John for not blabbing to the whole family that Tip shot the dog. An example to us all that pointing the finger is not always right. Seriously though: how fake did that blood on the dog look? You could see it had been smeared on with fingers. Made me chuckle.

For me, Ralph is the star of the show. It's great to see John so carefree. He should have his mates round more often.
  • After hearing John's tales, ever since they were born, the legend from it comes true, when Tip Harrison comes to Waltons Mountain.

First things first. I despise Tip Harrison! He shot Reckless and then let him to die! I mean, seriously! And then Jonboy and John find Reckless by hearing him whimper! That's just evil! And everyone knows it's hard to watch a show if you totally hate someone in it. But, this episode was pretty good I guess... Who names their kid Tip? Nevermind, that was pretty stupid and random to ask :D(if your first name is 'Tip' then don't read this: TIP IS A WEIRD NAME! you were warned). I recamend this episode...How do you spell recamend anyway? if you do, then please send it to me, I really am too lazy to go to http://www.dictionary.com ~old shows finatic