The Waltons

The Love Story

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Jan 18, 1973 on CBS

• Not a bad story, just comes off as too sugary and not that well-written.

4.8
    John Boy falls for visiting Jenny Pendleton, somewhat embarassingly to my mind.

I loved "The Waltons" and was an avid watcher of first run shows for most of the first four or five years. Still, this was an episode that despite some Emmy nominations just left me laughing and I shouldn't have been laughing. Perhaps it was the actress who played Jenny, and some of the dialog -- it all seemed to bring out the most stilted in actor Richard Thomas. Jenny moves onto the mountain, but her father and stepmother pursue her. Tragically, the father dies and she moves away with her stepmother.

Unfortunately, not before some awkward love scenes between Jenny and John Boy. Perhaps the most humorous is the scene at the chimney of the "old Walton cabin" on the mountain where John Boy proclaims "Jenny Pendleton, you're a fine old pioneer woman" and Jenny shoots back, "well, John Boy Walton, you're a fine old pioneer man!"...good grief, and as I said, me and my family tuned into all these episodes in the early 70s.

I liked almost all of Season 1, but this one was a little much.
  • When one of John's old friends visits, he brings with him, his daughter, Jenny. But hearts start beating when Jonboy falls for her... and she falls for him.

Okay, okay, I know you must have read 'Mac Ale's' review of this episode already, but I want you to reconsider what he said. I'm not trying to be dissin' anyone, and I know that these are just our opinions, but, this episode was well-written. I liked this episode, and thought Jenny was hot (Sue me). This episode, unlike some others, seemed more like a movie. My favorite part was when they hear Jenny's father died (NOT THAT PART!) and Jonboy tries to find her. My favorite thing about that scene was the music they played! I had to re-watch that one part over and over again because of Jonboy's extrordinary acting skills. What am I saying? Everyone in the Waltons has good acting skills! (forget Erin in the 3rd-5th seasons) So, I ask you, kind viewers, try to reconsider what Mac-Ale's Review said, and reset your score to a higher one. I totally recommend this fine, fine episode ~Old Shows Finatic.