The Waltons

The Love Story

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Jan 18, 1973 on CBS

7.4
  • Not a bad story, just comes off as too sugary and not that well-written.

4.8
    John Boy falls for visiting Jenny Pendleton, somewhat embarassingly to my mind.

I loved "The Waltons" and was an avid watcher of first run shows for most of the first four or five years. Still, this was an episode that despite some Emmy nominations just left me laughing and I shouldn't have been laughing. Perhaps it was the actress who played Jenny, and some of the dialog -- it all seemed to bring out the most stilted in actor Richard Thomas. Jenny moves onto the mountain, but her father and stepmother pursue her. Tragically, the father dies and she moves away with her stepmother.

Unfortunately, not before some awkward love scenes between Jenny and John Boy. Perhaps the most humorous is the scene at the chimney of the "old Walton cabin" on the mountain where John Boy proclaims "Jenny Pendleton, you're a fine old pioneer woman" and Jenny shoots back, "well, John Boy Walton, you're a fine old pioneer man!"...good grief, and as I said, me and my family tuned into all these episodes in the early 70s.

I liked almost all of Season 1, but this one was a little much.