The Waltons

The Marathon

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Nov 07, 1974 on CBS

7.7
  • An impressive episode where art overtakes drama and leaves you thinking.

This episode explores the world of art vs. story telling and it is brilliant. The dance senario is entirely a metaphor for the examination of our purpose in life. John-Boy is really the supporting character. The main characters are the dancers -- a set of people trying to find their way in life. There is an amazing visual moment where the camera pans into the room showing the tired and lost musicians and then pans into the dancers, exhausted and lost in their own lives. Director Ralph Senensky completely understood the importance of that scene. One of my favorite lines is John-Boy's dance partner where she states "I want to be above the clouds looking down". It is a metaphor for our own desires to rise above ourselves and everyone else around us thinking that will somehow free us. My only disapointment was the ending where John-Boy somehow realizes this is not the way to find his life course and resolves to himself that in family we find our own focus in life. It would have been much better leaving it ambiguous and without resolution but that's TV.