The Waltons

The Matchmakers

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Jan 09, 1975 on CBS

• The Odd Couple

So Corabeth has finally arrived. Little did I know when she walked through the door that she would be married to Ike by the end of the episode. It's a good story and a wholly unexpected direction. In fact, the idea of Ike getting hitched still seems strange after nine whole seasons!

Corabeth is much quieter and more timid than she will be in later installments, but some of her traits are already there: her airs and graces, for instance. The way she takes over John-boy's room is downright shameful. As so often, Esther has her number from the start.

Despite being the most recurring character on the show, Ike seldom does more than serve customers and take phone calls. This week, Joe Conley gets a chance to act, and he plays the lovestruck storekeeper brilliantly. I had to laugh when he was showing Corabeth round his meagre living quarters. 'Cosy' is certainly the word.

By way of a subplot, John-boy takes Erin to get her photo taken in Charlottesville. I'm not sure why they included this or why Erin decided she was ugly. I thought she was supposed to be the pretty one. Anyhow, she doesn't crack the lens and she ends up entering some kind of beauty contest. It won't be her last.