The Waltons

The Medal

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Feb 28, 1980 on CBS

1.7
  • El Soldado

I'm not sure whether this is a weak script buoyed up by some quality acting or a good cast performance dragged down by dodgy dialogue. Either way, it doesn't quite hit the mark.

There are two wholly unconnected plots this week. One involves the Godseys and a soldier named Roger, and one involves everybody else. I say 'everybody else': John, Ben and Jason barely feature, while Jim Bob speaks a mere three words. On the upside, there are no Burtons, and we do get to see Ep again (though he needs to lose that moustache).

Plot A sees Mary Ellen fall in love with a Mexican soldier named Eddie. Like all non-WASPs, Eddie comes in for some stick from the Jefferson County locals. Guest actor, Enrique Castillo, is pretty good in the role, though the same can't be said for those playing Smitty and his sailor mates. Like Ted Lapinsky before him, Eddie is adopted as one of the family, though this doesn't stop him switching randomly between English and Spanish the whole time.

Plot B sees Corabeth stumble across a schoolfriend, who then tries to tempt her into a fling. Ronnie Claire Edwards puts in a lovely performance, but the guest star gives little in return, and the direction is hopelessly melodramatic. Their romance seems rather unlikely, given they haven't seen each other since school, but I did like Ike's reaction.

The scene in the Dew Drop sums up the episode perfectly. It starts off with real tension as Smitty confronts the Waltons, then Eddie launches into a theatrical speech and all is suddenly forgiven. An opportunity missed.