The Waltons

The Milestone

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Dec 08, 1977 on CBS

5.1
  • That Time o' Life

Michael Learned must have been delighted when she saw the script for this week. It's not often her character gets to stray from the sink for so long. Although it's a little far-fetched that she would leave so abruptly, the change of setting is good, and I did like Aunt Kate.

The menopause is a tetchy subject even now, and must have been almost beyond discussion back then, so it's a bold choice of story. It's handled pretty well, and Michael makes a good fist of the fear and confusion. Of course, it does beg the question of how old Olivia is. Her age has never been mentioned, but we do know she and John were married in 1915 and she was under eighteen at the time. Depending on whether this episode takes place in 1939 or 1940 - I've lost count of the number of times this season has flitted between the two - that would make her somewhere between 40 and 43. As she herself says, it's a bit young to be going through the menopause, but I'm just glad it wasn't something more serious.

The rest of the characters do a great job in supporting her story, particularly John. There's not much Ben or Zeb, but Jim Bob does get a subplot in which he applies for a job building aircraft. I can't believe he was willing to forge his mother's signature to get it though. Bad boy! Hank sort of catches him, and we then see JB 'volunteer' to copy out his sermons. Does this mean Hank is blackmailing him?

So, a whole episode has passed and nobody has mentioned the war. Amen to that!