The Waltons

The Minstrel

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Dec 21, 1972 on CBS

3.4
  • The Apples

For me, this is the saddest episode so far. Mary Ellen feels the world is passing her by and she will never escape from the Mountain. It's easy to look at this and laugh, of course, but I do remember feeling this way myself when I was her age. All told, I thought the parents handled it rather well.

The minstrel in question is a man named Jamie. He's not the most charismatic soul in the world and seems only to know two songs, but he does help Mary Ellen's plot along so I'll let him go. One question though: how on earth does he earn enough to eat - or does he just wander from house to house on the scrounge? Not much of a life.

The apple picking was fun. It was obvious one of them would fall off a ladder at some point, but I didn't expect it to be John-boy. Considering there were eleven of them working for three days, the wagon looked awfully empty by the end, but the farmer seemed happy so I guess that's all that matters. Good to see them with a few extra pennies for a change.

John-boy seems full of swagger in this episode. Just saying. I guess I'm still not over cousin Job.