The Waltons

The Moonshiner

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Oct 12, 1978 on CBS

5.5
  • The Recipe

John's cousin Boone is back, and this time the law has caught up with his bootlegging. Not wishing to see him go to prison, Jason speaks up at his trial then pays his bail and agrees to watch over him. This is classic John-boy, of course, but Jason handles it well, and Jon Walmsley makes a decent fist of the acting. I'm liking Jon lately. He wasn't the best-looking teenager, but being a grown-up really suits him.

Boone causes much resentment in the house, but redeems himself by fixing the Baldwins' still. At one point he gives Jason some useful family history, but he mumbles so much you can barely hear what he's saying. I have to give credit to the writers for the ending though. Having him pay Jason his bail then head for the hills is not what I expected, but it totally fits with his character.

Daisy Garner also drops by. Much as I like her as a character, her appearance this week does seem rather pointless. She doesn't have much of a story, and appears to be there solely to give Corabeth yet another chance to be judgmental.

Yet again, there are a couple of timekeeping goofs. Firstly, Olivia claims John-boy was shot four years ago whilst trying to help Boone. In fact, this happened seven years ago, in the summer of 1934. And secondly, we know from 'The Conflict' that Boone died in 1943. If, as this episode claims, he was 87 when he died, then Martha Corinne would have been just five years old when she had him.

So we've now had episodes featuring all four family members from 'The Conflict'. Any chance of seeing cousin Job?