The Waltons

The Nurse

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Dec 11, 1975 on CBS

7.7
  • The Suitcase (Part I)

Only halfway through the season and Mary Ellen is already about to leave school. Time is speeding up on Walton's Mountain.

As you may have guessed from the title, this instalment is all about Mary Ellen's dream to become a nurse. Once again, it's an episode of two halves. In the first half, ME must sit an exam to get into nursing school, where everything is pristine, orderly and white. In the other half, she turns her hand to the practical side of the job, nursing a dying woman in squalid conditions in a hut in the woods.

It's an effective contrast between the two sides of nursing, and the death of the woman in the hut is handled very well. I did like the girl playing her eldest daughter. There's a nice nod to Spencer's Mountain when Mary Ellen has to learn a whole subject over the summer to pass her entrance exam (Clay-boy had to learn Latin in his summer holiday to get into university).

I liked the send-off scene on the doorstep and I liked the way they were all so desperate to keep it a surprise. She certainly won't be losing that suitcase in baggage reclaim!

Almost a week since I watched this and I'm still trying to work out why nurses need to know algebra...