The Waltons

The Obsession

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Oct 19, 1978 on CBS

6.1
  • The Drugs Don't Work

Mary Ellen goes on a pill-popping bender while Elizabeth helps Yancy with his divorce. It's hard to believe this is the same show that gave us 'The Calf' and 'The Literary Man', but I guess we have to move on...

The A-plot isn't bad, but it does feel a bit out of place. Judy does her best, but neither she nor the director are able to handle Mary Ellen's behaviour. Still, after barely appearing in the season between her wedding and the birth of her son, it's good to have the Waltons' eldest back in the thick of it. I agree with the other reviewer that Jason has taken over John-boy's role. When he tackles ME about her addiction, I can almost hear Richard's voice.

Our newlyweds from last season are now on the verge of splitting up. With the help of the Baldwins, Elizabeth takes it upon herself to get them back together. I know Yancy stories are intended as a bit of light relief, but divorce is a serious subject and it's a shame to see it treated like this. Besides, there's no way Sissy would have stayed a whole two years if she doesn't like livestock in the house.

There's no Esther this week, but Curt makes a rare appearance and announces he is being posted to Pearl Harbour. If you didn't already know he was being written out, you certainly do now.

• MaryEllens attempt to push herself too hard in studying for an important test leads to roller coaster ride of uppers and downers. In time she recognizes the danger, and with the support of family is able to break the cycle

5.5
    Not one of the better episodes. The acting seemed a little stilted and forced, and the resolution was just a little too neat for my taste. The basic plot premise is good, and plays into what we know of MaryEllens character, that is very determined and singleminded, but sometimes a little self centered. It is interesting to see Jason beginning to develop into a sort of ham sandwich JohnBoy, and Ben starting to show a lot of the quiet, responsible qualities of the father. As alwasys, Ralph Waites bedrock understated role gives the show some real (as opposed to dramatic) moral significance