The Waltons

The Obstacle

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Jan 11, 1979 on CBS

• The Wheels

John-boy's former nemesis, Mike Paxton, spends some time with the Waltons after wounding himself in the war. His injuries have left him in a wheelchair, so the family must help him overcome his gloom and find his place in the world. Cue much rampbuilding and general cheery behaviour.

It's a cute enough story, and it's one of a long, long line in which the Waltons take in a guest and straighten out their problems. It just doesn't make sense that it's Mike Paxton. The script makes out he was John-boy's best mate, when in fact he was a complete tosspot who bullied John-boy at college and randomly shared a bedsit with him once.

That aside, there are some good moments. I liked the way Esther latched onto him. You could see the empathy in her eyes. I also liked Judy's performance. She's much more convincing as a nurse than as a mother.

Meanwhile, Ben and Ike decide to do their bit for the war effort by singing and dancing for the troops. Their routine is truly awful and I spent most of it cringing behind the settee. Inexplicably, the army talent scouts like it and they invite Ben and Ike to perform at their barracks. So, now you know how we won the war.