The Waltons

The Odyssey

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Sep 20, 1973 on CBS

7.2
  • The Delivery

It's pretty hectic in the Walton house. No place for a writer trying to find peace and quiet. The solution: pack your bags and hike up to a cabin in the woods.

It's good continuity to bring back Sarah and her mum from 'The Townie'. As soon as I saw Sarah wrapped up like that I guessed she was pregnant, and as soon as that was confirmed I guessed she would be having the baby in the cabin. I also guessed old Granny Ketchum would die before the end of the episode. Damn, I'm getting good at this!

There are a couple of subplots as well: Jim Bob makes tomato chutney and Ben gets a fever. I did like the scene where Ben and Jason were taking the p*** out of Jim Bob for his cooking. That's exactly what it was like in my house growing up. Ben's fever turns out to be nothing serious, but Dr Vance does seem to be a cast regular at the moment.

The timing of this story is interesting. Most of Season Two is set in 1934. This episode, however, takes place one year after 'The Townie', which places it in March 1935. It's not the first Waltons time hop and it certainly won't be the last.

So this is where John-boy's mule comes from? I did wonder why we hadn't seen it until now. Good addition to the show. As for the title, I'm not sure a hike up the hillside really counts as an odyssey, despite all that Hollywood rain. Oh well.

Pick of the bunch: Granny Ketchum (Frances Williams)

Alternate title: The Cradle